Pizza in a Flash!
- Ready in: 10 mins prep, 12 mins cook time
- Serves: 4
- Complexity: easy
- 1 cup Wholemeal Flour,
- 2 tsp Baking Powder,
- 2 Tbsp Oil,
- Approx ½ cup milk
- Extra flour as required for rolling out
- 1 large Onion, finely diced
- 2 cloves Garlic, chopped or crushed
- 1 can chopped peeled tomatoes
- 2 Tbsp sweet chilli sauce
- Any desired toppings e.g. capsicum, pineapple, ham, mushrooms, olives, feta, spinach, blue cheese, nuts/seeds etc
- Grated Edam or Parmesan Cheese
Heat the oven to 200 Celcius.
Combine all the ingredients adding the milk slowly to form a just-sticky mixture that forms a ball.
Drop the ball into the flour container, flour your rolling pin and roll the base out thinly onto an oiled baking tray.
In a pan brown the onion with a little oil, add the tomatoes and any other ingredients and heat through - this is your instant pizza base sauce.
I also love to add in grated carrot/zucchinni, and/or diced capsicum/chilli in as well.
Hint - this is also great as a pasta sauce, you can make double and set the other aside in the fridge or freezer!
Spread the sauce evenly onto the base, add extra toppings, finish with a little cheese & bake at 200 degrees C for 10-15 mins till crispy.
Serve hot with a fresh salad.
Another variation is to use sliced eggplant as the pizza base. This is a great option if you need a gluten free version, or you just want something a bit fancier!
Simply slice your eggplant into 1 to 1.5cm slices. (Circles work well for children, or you can cut lengthways.) Bake them at 180 degrees on trays with a little oil for 8 minutes, then add toppings and bake for a further 8 minutes.